Museum Glaskasten in Marl
Museum extension and redesign of a public square pdf
Initiated in 1958, the redevelopment scheme for the Marl city centre was dominated by the structuralist architecture of stand-alone buildings, most notably the town hall (Van den Broek & Bakema, 1960–67). In the 1980s a “City Lake” was added to the north-western corner of the loosely structured main square called Marler Stern. The present redevelopment plan of the square and landscape edges aims to densify the existing urban texture. The broken vanishing and contour lines of the new, distinctly sculptural museum building create a series of reference points to the surrounding architecture and landscape. The existing sculpture museum in the glass base construction of the centrally located town hall is retained as the main entrance to the museum. An underground path leads from there to the lower floor of the extension. The green-coloured concrete facade features skylights and ground-floor panoramic windows, an angular vista creating a visual link between the square and the lake.
Client : City of Marl
Associate Architect : Diane Heirend
Gross Floor Area : 1 540 sqm
Budget : 6 200 000 EUR
Project Status : invited competition